Thursday, January 2, 2014

On introversion

I started reading Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking last night. I’m still reading it, so only a couple of initial thoughts.

  1. It gives a good overview of introversion and how extraversion is a relatively recent concept.
  2. The veneration of extraversion that’s outlined in Chapter 2 is telling. I didn’t realize just how much culture values initiating action; I tend to think of people that act first and think later as “boorish”.

This book so far is good food for thought if, like me, you prefer composing thoughts and typing over talking. It makes me wonder where my thoughts and opinions were ignored, because I’m not the sort of person to advance them loudly.

I’m looking forward to seeing what in my life I’ll (try to!) change as a result of reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment