Sunday, January 5, 2014

First pull request submitted!

One of my goals for the first 30 days of the year is to submit 5 pull requests. I haven’t decided if that will be for 5 separate projects (since that means I’d have to find and familiarize myself with 5 different codebases!) but I did get the first one out of the way.

These two commits allow additional detail to be viewed on http://chicagocrashes.org, a website that lets you browse law enforcement reports about crashes taking place in Chicago.

While the changes aren’t difficult, the value was in getting more familiar with the git and github workflow.

Although apparently I had “origin” and “upstream” backwards. Oops. [runs to fix that]

Okay. Now that I know what origin and upstream are, I’m going to feel a bit more comfortable contributing to open source projects from now on. Just in case there are more things I thought I knew but don’t actually know, I’ll drop in on a web seminar provided through GitHub on January 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment