Sunday, January 19, 2014

Goals for 2014

My new year’s resolution for this year is to have goals.

A stretch, I know. For this blog I prefer to keep things professional,
though if something sneaks in about me wanting to run in a
half-marathon, don’t be surprised.

Learn JavaScript

In other words, be a full-stack developer.

Which can be a bit misleading. Currently I work in PHP/XSLT, which
can arguably be full-stack or back-end, depending on how you look
at things.

And don’t ask me to design anybody’s website.

But. The structure of data on a page. Managing how data is displayed
on a page. Data binding through models. AJAX-y stuff.

That’s more up my alley, and with the amount of frameworks that
are sprouting up daily to address this problem, it’s a good time to
see what types of client-side solutions are being used throughout
the web.

Do Good Things

I have a goal to put in 5 pull requests to some project(s) on GitHub
by the end of the month. I’m not sure if I’m going to make it, but
the broader point applies: the more I work with other people’s code,
the more I learn about codiing as a whole.

Make the Chicago Crash Browser awesome

Chicago Crash Browser

This could be a really handy tool throughout all of Illinois, not just Chicago,
so I’d be very happy to help make this a fast, functional tool for bicycle
and pedestrian advocates like me.

Find a project in Python or Ruby to contribute to

There’s a lot of options at Open Gov Hack Night. Which one sounds interesting to me? Which one can help people the most?

Spend time with the wife and family

Because they’re important too. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment